Lest you think all of our bug fixes go into client releases, we just pushed an update to the live servers that fixes a bug that was causing group membership information to get removed when contact updates were sunc from Address Book to Google. That is all. Enjoy your Friday night. :-)
Thanks to some great feedback from our beta testers, we've identified and fixed several more bugs. The latest version, Spanning Sync v2.0b (334) is now available for download. All beta testers are asked to upgrade as soon as possible.
What's New in Build 334
Fixes some cases where contacts could be duplicated
Fixes a bug where read-only iCal calendars could be duplicated
Fixes some cases where deleted contacts were being ignored
Fixes some log formatting problems
Fixes a serious bug with recurring/detached events
This afternoon we found and fixed a serious problem related to "detached" events (instances of recurring events that have been edited to no longer match the original recurrence rule). Some time fairly recently, Google fixed a longstanding bug that we had coded around 18 months ago, and their fix broke our workaround.
The problem manifested itself this way: if you had a detached event in iCal and synced it, it would get garbled, and partial duplicates would be created. (Specifically, the detached event wouldn't be created but another recurring event starting the day of the detached event would be. It wasn't pretty.)
Since this was a server-side issue, all client versions including the beta were affected. The fix is on the live servers, so the problem shouldn't happen again. However, if you have had recurring events corrupted by this bug please do this:
Delete the corrupted events from iCal and Google
Recreate the events in iCal OR Google (doesn't matter which)
The Google Calendar API has been experiencing widespread sporadic outages since last week, resulting in Spanning Sync users being unable to log in or seeing "could not generate your list of calendar" messages.
The problem isn't specific to Spanning Sync—it affects all products that use the Calendar API. For a discussion of the issue, please see this thread on the Calendar API Google Group.
As we get more information about the status of the issue we'll post updates here.
Spanning Sync v2.0 Beta (332) is now available. All beta testers are asked to upgrade as soon as possible. As always, please submit bugs, comments, questions, and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What's New in Build 332
Improved support for huge (10,000+ events) calendars
No longer forces server debug logging for calendars
Fixes a problem with improper log snipping
Contacts with no names are now ignored by default, with an option to use email addresses as names
No longer offers to replace data on Google (RDOG) on first contact sync
Includes a more portentous warning for RDOG of contacts
Default group popup is now properly set in the pref pane
Google auth token failures are handled better
Phantom middle name bug fixed
Also, we've made a change to the Trial system so that expired trials will automatically reset after 3 months.
Note: If you used an earlier beta version and were affected by the Phantom Middle Name bug will need to restore your contacts from backup and then sync. Otherwise you may wind up with two copies of each contact in Address Book with slightly different names (e.g., "Charlie Wood" and "Charlie Wood"—note the extra space).
Some users have reported seeing the old pref pane (without the "Contacts" tab) and some unusual messages after installing the 2.0 beta. We believe this was due to the presence of some non-localized resources from the previous version. The latest build (331) should fix the problem.